Sunday 21 February 2010

We have the power


Well there we have it, a fully working wind charger, two days of fitting and crawling around the insides of Pixie, and we have power from the wind, and a working remote in the cockpit for the Fusion stereo.

We haven't been having a great deal of luck with our Fusion stereo to be honest. The speakers are great, the sound quality is great, and the concept of the iPod dock is fantastic. The first unit we had wouldn't tune to any fm radio station, it was returned and replaced under warranty. The second unit wouldn't switch off, and pressing the menu button would either bring up the menu, but most of the time it would do nothing or mute the stereo. While all this was happening the waterproof remote in the cockpit lost its desire to keep out water and condensation formed inside.

After a chat to Fusion, they replaced that faulty unit and the remote with the latest stereo and new remote. Unfortunately the cable for the old remote wasn't compatible with the new remote, so the nice neat wiring I'd installed back in September, had to come out and be replaced with the new wiring on the replacement remote.

Yesterday I was going to route the stereo wiring to the stereo and run the power cable from the wind charger along the same route under the cockpit. Sounded easy, but when I got the wire close to the stereo, I realised that drilling the holes wouldn't be possible because I needed a longer drill bit and I couldn't get that into the lockers which I needed to.

I started both jobs yesterday, and finished them both today. I was hoping to finish at least one last night and felt a bit disheartened that we couldn't tick more off the list yesterday, but today made up for it with two more big jobs to tick off.

Last night Kirsty and I went round to fellow Cruising Association member Mike Beck's yacht Moxie. Beer and conversation flowed until we had to make the cold icy journey along the pontoons back to a chilly Pixie. Minutes later, the heater was fired up, and she was as cosy as usual.

While I was doing the wiring over the weekend, Kirsty was busy waterproofing the spray hood, fitting a new shower head, fitting the blades on the wind charger and passing all manner of tools in my direction.

Now all I need is a weekend to recover

No comments:

Post a Comment