Saturday 6 February 2010

Power to the Pixie

One of the things about living on board a boat is power management, managing power so when you want it you've got it, and when you don't want it you still have lots.

At the moment we have one engine battery and one house battery. The plan is to fit a second house battery to give us more power for living.

Unfortunately the space on Pixie that's devoted for batteries isn't big enough for three batteries, so I'm having to fit the engine battery somewhere else in the boat.

Deciding where to move the engine battery was the source of much head scratching this afternoon. In the end the cockpit locker became the lucky host, so after a quick trip to the friendly timber merchant, I had the wood I needed.

As is always the case on boats, I realised where I wanted to fit it, would mean I couldn't access the fuel cut off, so I had to fit the battery in a slightly different position. So there I was crammed into a cockpit locker trying to fit the support for the battery where my feet were, while sitting on the handle of hull fitting, as the contents of the locker kept falling down on me! It all got a bit much on occasions, but it's done now, I just have to wire it up.

While I've been typing this up Kirsty has been cooking sausage and mash, it's now ready so I shall bid you good night, we're entertaining tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment