Thursday 10 June 2010

An Islay convert

When Graham and I first met we quickly established that we had a joint love of sailing and whisky. But there was one important point of difference - I like Islay whisky and Graham does not. So it was much to my surprise that he managed to consume not one but six of Laguvulin's finest during today's tour.



It was an excellent tour. Everyone who showed us around was local to Islay and had whisky in their blood for generations. It is a huge industry here, contributing £800 million in taxes to the UK government. Not bad for one island. We were made extremely welcome, even using the free mooring in the bay. In the afternoon we took the warehouse tour where Ian, who has worked for the distillery for 40 years, gave us the guided tour of the whisky from the raw spirit straight from the still to a 44 year old that was put in the barrel in 1966 - the year that England robbed the world cup (Ian's words not mine). I asked Ian what the best dram he had ever tasted was. He replied "I usually find that the best dram is the free one". A man after my own heart. We had a great time. The tour was excellent value for money and really worthwhile.
At lunch time we took a walk to the nearby Laphroig distillery. On the way we saw a golden eagle. She was sitting in the top of a tree then swooped down on some prey - probably a ground nesting bird - but was promptly chased away some some rather brave parent birds.
It was a fantastic day and after some very tough sails it really felt like a holiday. I hadn't been to Islay before but I'll definitely come back.
It is now a beautiful evening and we're on our way to the island of Gigha, ETA 1930.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. Really enjoying your blog. Thank you both.

    As an Englishman who moved up to the West Coast with work I was told that I had to take up golf, sailing, or both....

    A couple of weeks ago did my first singlehanded trip round the Mull to Gigha. I thought I'd found a little piece of heaven - interested to see what you think. Then Jura (beautifully bleak), then Islay (Laphroig does it for me!). Unlike you, a 13 hour sail from Port Ellen to Troon got me home. Best of luck for the rest of your adventure. Malcolm

    ReplyDelete